Slow but steady wins the race


---------------------------------------------------------------
Aesop’s fable, detailing a race between seemingly unequal contestants, the Tortoise and the Hare, is a folk favourite. As the Tortoise plods over the finishing line ahead of the overconfident Hare, the moral of the story is clear: slow but steady wins the race.

My name is George Broke and just over a month ago I left my last job, working for a small start-up. This was my third full-time job since leaving University and means that I am still looking for that dream job at the age of 27. But all is not lost.

Because by talking to others my age and in a similar position, I’ve realised that I'm one of many people yet to identify exactly what it is they want to achieve professionally in life. Just as there are those infuriating people out there who've always known exactly what they wanted to do and/or slipped straight into the perfect job after University or College, there are also us "tortoises". Recently released stats suggest that the average career involves roughly 10 job swaps, so tortoises, stay positive; with perseverance and application we will all get there in the end.

But why I have started this blog? to share all the experiences and advice that I have had over the past 5 years of job hunting with other twenty and thirty somethings who are out of work and/or still looking for the right career move. No one said it would be easy, but by plodding along in the right direction (which I aim to help you identify) we’ll give ourselves as good a chance as any wretched hare out there of reaching the finishing line.

So remember, slow and steady wins the race.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Become Renewable

Last night was just one of those nights when something interesting/amusing/surprising was bound to happen. I was having a drink in the local pub. This is a dangerous pastime - you never know who you're going to end up talking to...

Although within 5 minutes of entering the building I had a fairly good idea. Leaving my pint at the bar I headed off to the loo. When I came back my pint was still there (more or less in the same position), although to my delight it seemed a little bit fuller than before. I decided to continue my earlier good work, slaking my thirst, when I was confronted by a large, rather aggressive looking man.

You've guessed it, it was his sodding pint.

I apologised, but it was too late. He was being called through for dinner, but I was a marked man. So it came as little surprise when he came to sit next to me about 90 minutes later. Judging by the colour of his cheeks and the size of his eye balls dinner had been a success. But now he wanted his pint back. Being a reasonable man I bought it and within a further 5 minutes we were best friends. I waxed lyrical about my love of all things Arsenal, which he appeared to appreciate. Although I was lying, what he went on to tell me was, I think, more truthful.

Turns out that he works in construction and his firm have recently secured some big contracts to install wind turbines for a couple of New Energy companies. Whilst the rest of the economy is, according to the pundits, not likely to surpass where it stood in early 2008 until late 2014, the Renewable Energy sector is expected to grow. Big time.

The Government has made the growth of this sector a priority. Under the baby faced Ed Miliband (secretary for energy and climate change) Labour aims to provide 30% of the UK's energy needs using wind and other renewable sources within 10 years. In that time they reckon that 60,000 new jobs will be created - a direct result of the £75 billion that will be invested to turn this England and the rest of the UK into a green and pleasant land.

So my drunken friend implored me to look at the Renewables sector. Not all jobs are technical and scientific, he assured me. They too have need of people who can sell, manage and market effectively. And how right he is. Nissan and Toyota have unveiled plans to enter the hybrid vehicle market, with the former already producing a new line of cleaner cars. This could be big. But the sensible money is still on the likes of Dong Energy and Siemens who in partnership are going to rekindle the green revolution in this country and help us realise the potential that, according to the Carbon Trust, the UK has to become a global leader in both offshore and wave power.

Start looking now and you may well be at the front of the queue come the gold rush - it's in line with the Tortoise's philosophy to take a longer term view. And me? well ss ever, I was glad I just made it to the pub...

No comments:

Post a Comment